The Lekki conservation Centre was established in 1990 by the Nigerian conservation foundation . Its aim was to preserve it as a natural habitat for plants and animals as urbanization has led to encroachment of most of their (the plants and animals) habitats. It covers approximately 78 hectares of land consisting of swamp and savannah habitats along the Lekki – Epe axis . The Lekki conservation Centre is about 15 minutes drive from Victoria island with the closest bus stop being chevron estate if you are commuting by public transport.
The 2km wooden trail , 401km canopy walk (the largest in Africa ) , 21 metres high tree house, human sized board games (Ludo ,Chess,Draught) fish pond amongst others facilities set the place apart and has made the centre a place of tourist interest and fun activities.
I had the opportunity to visit recently with my family and it was such an exciting experience for us all.
The Lekki Conservation Centre provides beauty of nature and serenity and as first timers we had the opportunity of seeing a rare collection of pictures of endangered species of animals and plants neatly arranged in glass stands.
If you are big on adventure then you are in for plenty fun.
HERE ARE A FEW FUN THINGS TO DO AT THE LEKKI CONSERVATION CENTRE
- PLANNED PICNIC / FAMILY DAY OUT – From watching the animals , the trail boardwalk which is about 2 kilometres , to the canopy walk (for people from the age of 14 – 65years) to climbing the tree house and plenty running around , games in the family park and chilling in the family huts or the 96 seater gazebos , no family day out or picnic will turn out boring. (Just bring your own packed food).
- PERSONAL TIME OUT : If you are like me who loves to take time out because of my unavoidable busy life , then this place is perfect for you to spend quality time with your self reflecting ,refreshing and re-strategizing.
- THEMED PHOTOGRAPHY : The trees, board games and other facilities make for a good backdrop and elements in themed photo shoots e.g fashion editorials , pre-wedding photography , themed blog photography and lifestyle shoots. I saw several people shooting their pre-wedding pictures on the day we visited.
- CREATIVE BRAINSTORMING : With all the noise in Lagos , sometimes one require a quiet and serene place to be creatively gingered. I am one of those people and this place is perfect for this purpose.
- HUMAN SIZED BOARD GAMES : The size of the board games was so captivating and we had an awesome time playing against another family which I found really relaxing and exciting at the same time..
- WORK PLACE RETREAT : Because of the super relaxing and stimulating ambience of the centre and all of the adventure and sporting facilities it offers , e.g beach volley ball courts , monkey bars etc. makes it a suitable place for team bonding and team refreshing time-out .
Overall we enjoyed our time there . The area was well maintained and clean, ambience was so relaxing , stimulating and serene.
Pricing was reasonable .
Gate fee for children between ages 1-10 years is 200 Naira only.
Adult pays 1000 Naira only
Canopy walk costs an additional 1000 Naira.
Other specific pricing information can be found on their website here
The highlight for me was the Canopy walk (for an extra 1000 Naira, which was totally worth it) and when a monkey snatched my son’s popcorn (captured in my video here).
BEST TIMES TO VISIT : The Lekki conservation Centre opens from 8.30am to 5.00pm daily all through the year . Its best you go early before it gets so hot . That way you can see a lot more animals and enjoy the coolness of the place more.
WHAT TO WEAR : The place can be super hot and considering all the walking , climbing and running around ; T-shirts , shorts and sneakers or shift dresses , tights/leggings and running shoes are your best options .
- Proper Food Court / Eating area should be provided
- More exit route from the family park should be provided . There’s literally one way in and out , the further you walk in is the same distance back out .
- More active tour guides should be assigned to visitor groups . After the first one introduced the park and we started the trail , she was nowhere to be found).
- Better signage and directions around the place . We got lost trying to find our way to the family park after the canopy walk , which was quite annoying.
I will definitely be visiting soon . This time by myself so i can spend some great time alone and shoot some more vlogs out there.
I sincerely hope you find this post helpful in deciding about visiting the Lekki Conservation Centre .Don’t forget to watch my hilarious vlog here
Are you planning to visit the Lekki Conservation Centre as a group of adults ? You totally should read this detailed post by Uche of lagosigboboy here
Have you been to the Lekki Conservation Centre ? What are your thoughts and experience ? Please share with me below
Thanks for stopping by …x
Be sure to follow me: